Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Autobiography week 4

Memory Lane

By: Claudia Villalobos

Seventh grade in junior high was a difficult transition for me. It became difficult to assimilate into the norms and expectations of a Junior High student. My most difficult class was English; I detested grammar with a passion. Due, to disliking my seventh grade, specifically my English class I had a negative connotation about the upcoming school year. As I entered my eight grade year at Upland Junior High, I was not enamored with English, hence I began class with a bad attitude towards it. I will never forget my first day of class, Ms. Pimentel was my English teacher. She was very encouraging, fun, and positive towards all of us. I felt as though she cared about our learning and she was the type of teacher to stay late in order to help her students progress. She helped me open myself up to literacy throughout the school year. A specific proud moment was during a competition the teacher held. The competition was an essay competition. This was turning point for me in my English career. At the specific moment when trying to compose my essay, I realized the beauty of writing. The many ways I can express my ideas appealed to me. Right then I knew English was for me. I was so excited when I finished my essay I went back to my seventh grade teacher to tell her about it. She was very proud of the hard work I have put into English over the past year. English became a beautiful way of inner expression filling the empty lines of a piece of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment