Sunday, May 10, 2009

Autobiographical Blog #5

The first time that my language skills made me feel important was during my fifth grade year at Woodworth Elementary. I had to deliver a speech during the promotional ceremony because my teacher had made me valedictorian of the class. The theme of the promotional ceremony was “Wonderful World,” so I tried to center my speech around that theme. I don’t quite remember what I wrote but I remember that the year was 1999 and the new millennium was approaching. I based my speech in how we should build a wonderful world into the new millennium or something around those lines. My fifth grade teacher helped me with editing but mostly the speech was of my own making. Not only did I write the speech in English, but I also translated it into Spanish and that made me feel powerful. At that moment I was glad that I was well educated in both languages. The circumstances in which I was picked to give the speech also made me feel good. I was an English learner through most of my elementary years. Graduating at the top of my class and delivering a speech that I had written in two languages was a gratifying experience. The day that I gave the speech and was applauded by my parents, classmates, and teachers was one of the best days of my life and I felt elated. I no longer felt disabled as I had through most of my elementary years because of my lack of language skills. My hard work had paid off and I felt like I belonged.
Posted by Isabel.

No comments:

Post a Comment