Monday, May 11, 2009

Autobiiography #3

Autobiography by Claudia Villalobos

Literacy has a riveting way of affecting its audience. Music, poetry, and novels influence many people. The one specific book, which influenced me, is Raisin in the Sun. This book in particular, focuses on the diversity among the Americans regarding racial and ethnic backgrounds. Despite, the novel focusing on racial issues, the book also hints at being able to fit into the American society. This book is crucial for adolescent classes to read because it helps students relate to certain themes in the book, like trying to fit in with their peers at school. As a high school student, many try to figure their identity in order to fit “in” with the crowd. I can remember many students trying to be someone else in order to have others approve of them as individuals, however, the book emphasizes on standing up for what you believe is right for you and your individuality. What will help you grow within your self? And ones you have figured out your voice it will be hard to break you down. Through this book, I realized that everyone counts as an individual and individuality is important despite what anyone says. When you stand firmly by what you believe not only do you become stronger, but are also less afraid of expressing your point of view.

Books did not really fit in my childhood until I was about in fourth grade. When I was in fourth grade, I started requesting more books to read. My favorite part of the week at school was when the scholastic order forms came in. I seriously wanted to get all the books, and progressively I began to build my own little library of books in my room. From then on, my parents realized that reading was vital to my education and they soon began an SSR time within the household. I was fortunate enough to have my parents push me as a child and we kept the tradition of SSR for my younger sibling. Aside from reading books, my dad used to read the newspaper to us in Spanish and English. Not only did we read the newspaper for the literature part of it, but it also helped us keep up to date with daily events.

The last book I read with real enjoyment was the Black Dahlia. I enjoy reading books that involve me resolving a mystery. I love mystery and murder books. I’m completely normal I promise, I’m just simply drawn to books that have to do with people blowing each other up. I’m more inclined to those books because they hold truth in them, however, in romantic books like Jayne Ere (even though I love the novel), the scenarios are ridiculous. Perhaps because all of the scenes within the novel seem to be overly dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment