Monday, April 13, 2009

Memory Lane

Being bilingual became a formula, which obligated students to be placed into ESL. Only because I knew two languages it did not mean I needed that extra help. When I was placed in ESL, the teachers made me feel as if I were handicap. It almost became impossible to try to argue otherwise, so I took matters into my own hands and began excelling in English. It was my goal to be the best in reading, writing, and composition.

As I slowly began proving my case, I was excited and no longer felt like an alien among the other students. As time went on, I realized that I actually enjoyed reading specially writing. One specific incident I remember is in eight grade my teacher had us write an essay and first place would win a free lunch. I knew I had to do my best, not for the lunch, but for the reputation of having first place (I can be very competitive). Hence, when the teacher finished grading the essays she handed them back to us. Even though I got second place it never discouraged me from writing. At this specific moment, I definitely knew that I no longer saw literacy as a challenge to prove the acquired abilities that I developed. I simply realized that I have an immense passion for writing and reading.

Posted by Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment