Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Autobiographical Blog # 2

The first book that really affected me in some way was The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. It’s a story about a tree that loves a little boy and gives in to his needs as he grows up. The tree shows unconditional motherly love to the boy and it reminded me how my parents love me. I was in first grade when Mr. Oakway read it to the class. The storyline really made me sad because I felt that the boy grew up to be selfish and never thanked the tree for everything that she provided him. I think what really made me sad was that I saw myself in the little boy and I did not want to be like him. This book mattered to me because it made me change the way I viewed what my parents did for me and I never appreciated that. The Giving Tree was an eye opener for me and it made me change my ungrateful ways. In my childhood books did not have a big role in the family; my parents never read me bedtime stories in the traditional sense. They always told me stories about their childhood and about our family from memory. They did take me to the library once a week to check out whatever books I wanted and that was as much as they contributed to me reading. Something that my father always read daily was the newspaper and he would always give me the comics section, my favorites were Garfield and Dennis the Menace. Sometimes my father would put me on his lap and read the comics section with me that was always fun. The most recent book that I read with real enjoyment was Betrayed by PC and Kristin Cast, it’s the second book in the House of Night Series, I am currently reading the third and I find the series very entertaining. I started reading the series because thanks to Stephenie Meyer I now have an infatuation for vampires so I was curious as to what the House of Night Series’ take of them was like.

Posted by Isabel

No comments:

Post a Comment