Monday, June 15, 2009

Week 6: Be Careful With What You Say

I’ve noticed that when I’m in a college class I tend to focus on using bigger words to express my ideas. Mostly it’s due to the fact that in some classes you need to use specific terms to express you idea but then that leads me to using them in other classes. I never thought that I would use “discourse community” to say “a group of people” but I’ve had at least two classes where I’ve seen and used the vocabulary in.

I work in a high school so I’m constantly surrounded by teenage idioms and it does affect the way I approach the students. I wouldn’t go to a student and try to have a big discussion about something that they’ve never heard of because they would be confused. When I do get a chance to do critical analysis with the students I feed of from the terms that they know and I try to broaden their ideas slowly by making sure they understand what I’m talking about. When I interact with the students, we make jokes but since they are younger than me I have to make sure I don’t make any jokes that aren’t appropriate. Once in a while I have to remind myself that they’re high school students because I might go off in some monologue that the students would get lost in.

With my friends I seem to mix the college style with the working style because we all do the same thing. As a group we’re all have gone or are still in college and we all work at the high school. With them we joke around making references to things that only we would know about. When I’m around them I don’t hesitate and think about what I’m going to say because we already have the comfort to say anything to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment